Tips For Optimizing Page Speed When Using Drift

Hey there! I thought this would spark a good discussion about how others in the community are tackling this dreaded challenge of page speed! Our team loves using Drift as a sales tool, but we're also seeing that the script is pretty heavy on Mobile networks compared to other scripts. This is understandable due to the function it's providing.

So...let's work together on tips to improve this! I'm going to share a screenshot of my external scripts loading on the page. This was provided by Google's Page Speed Testing Tool:

As you can see here from our scripts, Drift is the largest external script - has anyone been able to implement any type of hack to minimize the size loading on pages? Also, how is the "size" identified? If we have less Playbook options or questions, would it reduce the size?


  • Hey @Phil Rinaldi 👋 We actually have this help doc that will help out!

    We are working on fixing this overall, but for now our team put together a couple of different scripts to help with page load in the meantime.

    Let us know if this helps, and if anyone else has any suggestion we would love to hear them 👂️

  • Thank you @[email protected] !!

    Big improvements using this help doc...

    Basically, we've now removed Drift from the page load time completely using this "hack". It was very easy to do as well. I wrapped the embed code for Drift in a JS Function and then added another script to execute the Drift Script after the page has loaded for 5 seconds.

    The downside is that the Drift Playbook won't load until 5 seconds after the pages loads. It felt natural when browsing the website, but we might change it to 2 or 3 seconds (which would keep the same time savings on page load).

    If anyone else has suggestions, please share :)

  • Hey @Phil Rinaldi

    We did it slightly differently. We load drift based on an event...

    Mouse movement, scroll, etc. It makes it so that Drift doesn't slow down the site at all.



  • @Phil Rinaldi Glad you found a solution! I was a customer before joining the team here at Drift and at my last gig we also had conversations about load time and how to manage all of the scripts we were firing. As @[email protected] mentioned, we're got some good stuff brewing over here on addressing some of those issues, so stay tuned.

    In the meantime, one hack I was testing right when I left to join Drift (note: this is definitely not for everyone) was using Google's Personalization feature in Google Optimize to immediately serve our A+ premium website visitors with very high LTV potential heavier scripts that improved website conversion.

    Now yes, we're talking about adding more JS to combat JS load times, but I like having autonomy over who I serve what to, and then you can do some picking/choosing on what gets loaded by doing a quick analysis of how much those extra few points of conversion are worth to your business and what must stay/go if you need to make those tough decisions. There's also the option to fire targeting values to Optimize from the data layer.

    Let me know if this idea is intriguing! Love hearing all of the creative solutions everyone uses to grow faster 😎

Sign In or Register to comment.