What content marketing rules do you live by?

Hey everyone!

It's your friendly, neighborhood content marketer 👩🏻‍🦰

A big shout out to everyone who joined the Drift content team at our Office Hours!

We had some great questions and discussions. But now I want to ask something of the community:

What are some content marketing rules you love/live by?

I'm writing a blog post this Friday and sharing a personal fave: Kill your darlings. (I'll post the link here once live.)

So what about you? What content marketing rules do you know and love? Share below 👇

Answers

• Love this! From and SEO perspective, the rule I live by is this: Write for people, optimize for search engines. In digital it's really easy to create for the sake of search engines and traffic. But, that philosophy only ever leads to short term results. Here's the scenario I always go back to- you can write something to rank for a keyword that gets thousands of hits a day, but if only ten of those visitors find value in your content, is that actually a win? I'd much rather write something that people want to read and optimize for a lower volume search query- the end result tends to be less traffic but more users find value and continue to engage.

Can't wait to read other content marketing rules that people swear by!

• Write like you talk. It's an oldie, but a goodie (and one we definitely live by at Drift.) 😉

• Here's that article @Sarah Frazier was mentioning! https://www.drift.com/blog/kill-your-content-darlings/

One of my favorite writing rules is to just get started. There's absolutely nothing worse (or more intimidating/soul-crushing/etc.) than staring at a blank page. Bonus points if you procrastinated and are up against a deadline. So just get started. Even if you write 300 words of terrible copy, or 15 headlines that are so bad they make you cringe – that's okay. It's part of the process. Trust it. Because chances are, by the time you write your 20th headline, you might just be on to something 🙃

• ^ Love Sarah Frazier's article. Great tips there.

I think the best is lead with empathy. Put yourself in your customer's shoes and really dive deep into what they are thinking. Learn. Lean in. And market accordingly.

• My favorite is writing so that a 10yr old can understand it. It's something I learned in college and think about often. The last thing I want is for my readers to have to look up every other word and/or to feel dumb. Talk about losing interest!